Needed BC7 compression which unfortunately is not supported by Nvidia Texture Tools.
Intel's Texture Works Plugin is nice but batches in Photoshop take ages.
Initial version was made while waiting for client feedback, so thanks to meso for sponsoring.
hmmph doesn't work for me for some reason....
just says done and nothing converted
Ah maybe try a path without spaces. Might have forgotten to quote.
Now it works, but i can't view any of BC7_UNORM dds lol
just hangs vvvv hmmm.... also seems other types of compression also don't work
update: nop BC7 worked like charm, just not with filetex pooled
update 2: even more weird now everything works like charm for whatever reason....
seems like first time it did something wrong.
Also is it necessary to put resolution in "Resizing" or it takes source?
If you leave both at 0 it will take the original size. There are tooltips for every option, just hover over the fields with your mouse. I had "frozen" filetextures too when trying bc7. With the player node everything works fine.
Also with bc7 try Min Compress and see if it makes any difference qualitywise, it's a lot faster.
Thanks for this useful tool!
As far as I know texConv is the most convenient conversion tool atm to take advantage of the last BC formats, because :
Could you share the code of this tool, or add a few improvements to it? The first one I see would be to automatically choose the right number of mipmaps if this number is set (by default) to 0. Indeed the generator fails to convert files if you set a higher number than it's possible to generate, which is quite annoying when you want to convert textures with various resolutions in the same folder.
If by "right amount" you mean all mipmaps you can do this already. Just set Mip Map Level to 0.
I chose 1 as default because I use the thing to convert highres videos that are displayed 1:1 – it also decreases encoding time and filesize.
Ah, great :) The -m option wasn't explained in detail in the cmd line.
Have people had much luck with BC6 and BC7 formats from this? The BC6 variants crash v4 as soon as the texture is in the render pipeline (filetexture will load it initially, but the crash occurs if you try to render it)
A half HD BC7Unorm image takes around 20s to load.
BC7Typeless crashes texconvgui on conversion
I'm using not the most recent alpha 38.2 x64 with most recent dx11 pack
Sorry, I only use bc7 in conjunction with woei's player which works nicely. FileTexture works for me when set to Load in Background, vvvv won't crash and the texture(s) will load eventually, it takes ages though. As to why you'll have to ask vux. Maybe create an issue at github and provide some example textures for him to debug.
bjoern, thank you - BC6 working great with player!
@bjoern - another question. Does exr work for you? I get the following error - FAILED (88982f50)
Never tried with exr and/or have encountered that particular error.
However it seems to be caused by a missing codec/decoder.
OpenEXR support isn't enabled by default.
Thanks. I'm using a workaround for now but if I get a chance I'll try that out
@mrboni added exr support. Only tested it with some sample images. Maybe you could try and report back...
Wow thank you Bjoern.
I actually just had to ditch my workaround for various reasons so was about to try to make this work. You saved me loads of time.
It works perfectly, and creates a better pipeline from Resolve / Fusion in to vvvv. I've only tested with 4 channel 128bpp exrs > R16G16F dds. (I had to ditch BC6H as the Player plugin wasn't happy with dynamically changing quantity of visible textures). I don't know how texconv will deal with exrs that have extra channels. If I test I'll let you know
anonymous user login