Windows Vista compatibility

(updated steps to fix the problem)

vvvv works under Windows Vista.

1. Download d3dx9_30.dll and place it in /windows/system32 or vvvv’s directory.
  2. Enjoy.

huh.

what did vista say when you started vvvv before installing directx 9.0c? doesn’t vista come out of the box with directx10 (which includes 9.0c?)

also there should not be the need to copy the d3dx9_30.dll to vvvvs directory. that one should sit in C:\WINDOWS\system32\ and stay there.

so are you sure you needed to do what you did to get vvvv running?

Maybe the problem is similar to this

bjoern: Yes, this is the same problem. The program quit with the missing dll dialog.

I can confirm that even after installing DirextX 9.0c I don’t have d3dx9_30.dll. Maybe I did not have to install DirectX 9 after all, I will try to just copy the dll on my next reinstall.

Or vvvv could remove it’s hard-coded versions requirements :)

Anyway, now it works and I’m a happy camper.

anyway, good news, thx!

i did some googling and it seems that d3dx9_30.dll is indeed not shipped with vista. anyway it should be only the .dll that is missing which you can savely download from the net and best put it into your C:\windows\system32 directory.

no need of installing directx9c runtime though. vista ships with direcx10 and all versions of directx are downwards compatible.

• Or vvvv could remove it’s hard-coded versions requirements :)
    we only introduced that recently. we used to have the .dll shipped with vvvv. vvvvs directx implementation is based on clooties directx-header translations for delphi that had to remove the .dlls from their downloads since it is no longer allowed to distribute them.

whenever you need a new directx-runtime version for a new version of vvvv, we’ll let you know.

ok, just some hints for goofy users like me. if you start v4 the first time you have to start it in the adminstration modus (right click start as admin - or something like that … in german: als administrator ausführen), else the patch windows won’t show up.

:) good luck and at least i just have to say … vista looks pretty ugly especially the start button.

I’m using vvvvista since a few days now and have to face many problems…maybe it’s just noob misunderstandings but i don’t get it…so, when using vista aero desktop visualisation it seems that it’s impossible to use the screenshot function (ctrl+2) with the rendered windows (the shot is completely grey)…but it works with the patch window…so i switched to the classic windows visualisation and then screenshots of the renderers are working, but not in full screen…what the hell?
If someone has faced same problems please tell me…
By the way, under vista aero vvvv is so slow…better performance under classical desktop…

Vista 64 users put the d3dx9_30.dll in Windows\SysWOW64.

Will be switching straight back to XP as soon as I have time to install the drivers ;)

I tried installing dx9 first, and didn’t see d3dx9_30.dll. But there was D3DX9_41.dll, so I copied it over and renamed it. Probably a bad idea, but it works.